News

Industrial producer prices remain ‘stable’ in Malta

Industrial producer prices down by 1% in both euro area and EU28 • Prices in Malta remain stable

In December 2014, compared with November 2014, industrial producer prices fell by 1.0% in both the euro area (EA18) and the EU28, according to estimates from Eurostat, the statistical office of the European Union. In November prices decreased by 0.3% in in the euro area and by 0.4% in the EU28.

In December 2014, compared with December 2013, industrial producer prices fell by 2.7% in the euro area and by 3.1% in the EU28.

The average industrial producer prices for the year 2014, compared with 2013, decreased by 1.5% in both the euro area and the EU28.

Monthly comparison by main industrial grouping and by Member State

The 1.0% decrease in industrial producer prices in total industry in the euro area in December 2014, compared with November 2014, is due to falls of 3.1% in the energy sector, of 0.5% for intermediate goods and of 0.1% for non-durable consumer goods, while prices remained stable for capital goods, and increased by 0.1% for durable consumer goods. Prices in total industry excluding energy decreased by 0.2%.

In the EU28, the 1.0% decrease is due to falls of 3.7% in the energy sector, of 0.4% for intermediate goods and of 0.1% for non-durable consumer goods, while prices rose by 0.1% for both capital goods and durable consumer goods. Prices in total industry excluding energy fell by 0.2%.

Industrial producer prices fell in nearly all Member States, with the largest decreases observed in Greece (-3.3%), the Netherlands (-3.2%) and Belgium (-2.7%). Industrial producer prices increased only in Estonia and Sweden (both +0.3%), Cyprus and Slovenia (both +0.1%), while they remained stable in Malta.

Annual comparison by main industrial grouping and by Member State

The 2.7% decrease in industrial producer prices in total industry in the euro area in December 2014, compared with December 2013, is due to falls of 8.3% in the energy sector and of 1.0% for both intermediate goods and non-durable consumer goods, while prices rose by 0.6% for capital goods and by 1.3% for durable consumer goods. Prices in total industry excluding energy fell by 0.5%.

In the EU28, the 3.1% decrease is due to falls of 10.6% in the energy sector, of 1.1% for non-durable consumer goods and of 0.8% for intermediate goods, while prices rose by 0.7% for capital goods and by 1.0% for durable consumer goods. Prices in total industry excluding energy fell by 0.4%.

Industrial producer prices fell in all Member States, except Latvia (+0.5%). The largest decreases were observed in Lithuania (-8.3%), the Netherlands (-7.8%), Belgium (-6.8%), the United Kingdom (-6.0%), Denmark (-5.4%) and Greece (-5.3%).

Source: Malta Today

upcoming
events

SIGN UP TO AND RECEIVE OUR NEWSLETTER

Brands who work with us